Monday, August 25, 2008

Rainy Days And Sundays...

Harper and I went to the Little River Band show last night at the Napavine Amphitheater. We had the best of intentions of watching the concert from the front row and going back stage to see the band prior to the show. Our instructions in our little VIP envelope told us to be at Will Call by 4pm to pick up our credentials. We were there at 3:58pm, picked up our wristbands and back stage laminates. We then proceeded to our seats -- OH!! Did I mention this whole time it was pouring down rain? So, rewind to earlier in the day yesterday when Harper called me to say he'd take me out to dinner prior to the concert as a thank you for taking him to the show. We meet at the restaurant and get seated... the manager of the restaurant, Nathan asks me if I have any tickets for him. It was at this point that I realized that I left the VIP envelope at home in my laptop case. I order the BIG spinach salad (shaken, not stirred) and high-tail it for my house to get the envelope. We have dinner and get on our way to the concert venue. I did mention this whole time it was raining heavily, didn't I?

We get to the concert venue at a couple minutes to 4pm and go to our seats to wait for the back stage cattle call. LRB is on stage sound checking until around 5:30pm... the show was supposed to start at 5pm. Anyway, Harper and I go wait in line for the back stage thing in the pouring rain and I asked the bouncer who was tending to the line when we were supposed to be let in for the meet and greet and the photo ops etc. He told me 5:30pm. So we wait and wait and wait in the torrential downpour and finally at 6 o'clock Harper turns to me and says "this is bullshit", let's leave. I said "let's go".

Adding insult to injury I failed to take my nice big golf umbrella because I didn't want to be rude to people sitting behind me... MISTAKE! Everyone there except me and Harper were packing an umbrella. I'm an idiot!! Also on the way there we stopped by the ACE Hardware in Napavine and I got one of those rain ponchos... piece of crap! Turns out it was made out of the same crap the dry-cleaning plastic is made of... you know that plastic that they drape over your shirts and trousers when you get them back from the dry cleaners? So, no LRB and no autographed CD for my client and good friend Jack. The whole shindig turned out to be a fiasco. I'll tell you this much - if I ever go to a concert in Napavine again I'm not even going to leave my house until the time the show's scheduled to start.

Do I sound bitter about pissing away my whole day? So I got home and put my jacket in the dryer and put in a load of laundry and vegged out to watch my 42" Plasma - a little DVR action was definitely in order.

No comments: