Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sunday FUNday

Last night after the Grand Re-Opening festivities at one of my clients, I came home and decompressed a little bit before heading out to check out the studio at the new Radio station that I'm going to work for with Steve Harper, the host of the Saturday night show "The Musical Depreciation Society" http://www.musicaldepreciationsociety.com/. Believe me, it's a fun show with songs you wouldn't expect to hear on the radio.

I start at the station on September 2, so I thought I'd get a head start on learning the ropes. After what seemed like months of negotiating to come on board there we finally came to an agreement a couple of weeks ago and I'll be coming on board as Program Director and Afternoon Show Host. Looking forward to it. It's the most powerful AM station between Seattle and Portland at 10KW and plays the Good Time Oldies.

The station owners are great people. I've known DJ Dale since I was a Junior at Raymond High School when he worked for the local station there called KAPA. More on KAPA later.

Prior to going to the station though I met with my new friends, Tom and Amy for a soft drink and appetizer at The Webb Lounge in Shelton. It's part of Vern's Restaurant and it's the new bar Tracy built in the back of the restaurant... very cool. If you get the opportunity to dine at Vern's you should give it a try. Absolutely the best salad bar I've had. Went to the station after that until about midnight, and yada yada yada... needless to say I was a little tired this morning

It may turn out to be a typical NW day today... rain. I am hoping for the best as my long time friend and co-worker, the afformentioned Steve Harper and I are heading out to a concert this afternoon at the Napavine Amphitheater (15 minutes from Centralia) http://www.thenapavineamphitheater.com/ to see Little River Band perform. I was fortunate enough to get front row seats and backstage to meet LBR prior to the show. Looking forward to it although I've never really been a huge LRB fan, they've had numerous Top 10 hits so it should be good. Now I have to find a CD of LRB's Greatest Hits so I can get an autograph for one of my clients.

I've known Harper btw since we were in 3rd grade together at Riverview Elementary in Raymond, WA... our home town. We both worked during our senior year at KAPA Radio which the local station. KAPA - the Sporty 1340 on the dial. I recently came across this bumper sticker on a car in the parking lot of my local Wal Mart and couldn't resist...


The funny thing is that the original KAPA is now off air and has been for almost 20 years I guess. This KAPA station is in Hawaii. It was just funny to see it and I happened to have my camera at the ready.

My mother and Nick were originally going to come visit today but we're getting together next Tuesday (my birthday) instead. I suspect she has a birthday surprise or two in store for me. She's very generous and thoughtful.

No comments: